Subject: Bronze

Bronze

From: Robert P. Van Eyk <rpvaneyk<-a>
Date: Monday, October 13, 1997
I've been asked to provide treatment specifications for bronze
architectural components. The items include interior and exterior
window frames, as well as hardware such as handles and latches. The
window frames are painted and need to be stripped, its finish
returned to a light statutory bronze, and a protective coating
applied. Treatments will be done on site, with the glass panes
removed. The hardware is also painted, which needs to be stripped,
polished to a high sheen, and a protective coating applied. The
hardware will be removed for treatment.

I'm looking for resources and recommendations that will help me
determine the following:

    the pros and cons of chemical and mechanical (any appropriate
    blasting method) paint removal from bronze.

    a standard reference for a light statutory bronze patina

    an ideal protective coating

Thanks for your assistance,

Robert Van Eyk
Canadian Conservation & Restoration Services

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 14, 1997