Subject: Microwave drying

Microwave drying

From: Randolph Stilson <stilsonr<-a>
Date: Monday, October 13, 1997
I recently had a call from a lady that had heard on the FX
Collectables Show on Cable TV that using a microwave to remove mold
in musty smelling books was appropriate.  She was asking how it
should be done since they did not elaborate.

I encouraged her to have them freeze-dried or placed in a frozen
environment instead.  This message is just a warning to all that
this kind of information is getting out over the popular airwaves
and that we need to correct the perpetrators as soon as possible.
Unless I have been misinformed, microwaving is not the preferred
solution to this problem.

Also, for those having wet book or document problems in the Pacific
Northwest, Conservation Associates of the Pacific Northwest has
access to the Freeze-Dryer in the Washington State Archives in
Olympia.  We have not figured out a fee structure for this service
as of yet but will if the demand to use the equipment arises.

Randolph Stilson
Conservation Associates of the Pacific Northwest (CAPNW)

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 14, 1997