Subject: Drying frozen books

Drying frozen books

From: Jerry Shiner <keepsafe<-a>
Date: Friday, October 10, 1997
Micki Ryan <jonesbay<-a t->halcyon< . >com> writes

>... were found completely under water and were wrapped tightly
>in freezer paper (to preserve the shape), tied with cloth tape in
>two directions, and placed in the family's home frost-free freezer
>while we worked like crazy to salvage the large document collection.
>When I later looked for disaster recovery advice on the books,
>little was available referring to small personal collections of
>great emotional but little intrinsic value.

Some businesses that preserve dried flowers (also articles for
taxidermy?) have small freeze drying chambers which might be useful.
I found one such firm locally (in Toronto) some years ago. You could
check with some wholesale florists for leads.

Jerry Shiner
Forever Yours Bridal Gown Preservation
& Keepsafe Systems Inc.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada