Subject: Disaster preparedness and management priorities

Disaster preparedness and management priorities

From: Ton Cremers <securma<-a>
Date: Friday, October 10, 1997
Alan G. Howell <ahowell<-a t->ilanet< . >slnsw< . >gov< . >au> on behalf of Tegan Henderson

>A colleague I have works for a small institution in which management
>will not acknowledge disaster planning as a priority.

If you want to convince management about the necessity of disaster
planning I advice you to print this message and forward it to those
responsible. Three museum fires within one year, flooded libraries
in Poland, the incompetent reaction in Italy after the earthquakes.
The Museum Security Network (web site and mailing list has 'collected'
over 400pp of information about incidents with cultural property
since December 1996 (within ten months!). You can read the full
archive at:

    <URL:http://museum-security.org/artcrime.html> or at:
    <URL:http://museum-security.org/mail.html>

The messages below are about museum fires.
At the Museum Security Web site you can find samples of disaster and
salvage plans (and much more information in relevant fields)

The following appeared in various lists and are reproduced without
the knowledge or consent of the authors

    Messages About Museum Fires

    July 23, 1997
    French firefighters douse Paris museum blaze Fire broke out in
    an area of the roof that was being renovated!! AGAIN: remember
    the Hofburg in Vienna, Windsor Castle, and the Royal Academy
    (May 4, 1997). All these fires were caused by construction work.
    This is the third museum fire within three months: Royal Academy
    (May), Tate Gallery (June).....

    Forwarded from Museum-L

    From: Boylan P <p.boylan<-a t->city< . >ac< . >uk>
    Subject: Major Museum Fire Overnight in Paris

    Overnight (European time) news has been coming through of a very
    serious fire in the Paris Palais de Chaillot, part of the 1930s
    Trocodero complex, which houses several national museums and
    other cultural institutions, including the Musee de l'Homme, the
    national maritime museum the new national cinematography museum
    and the national museum of architecture and monumental
    sculpture. Early international press reports (e.g. BBC World
    Service radio at 1am British Summer Time) suggested that over
    4,000 sq, metres (40,000 sq.ft.) of the Musee de l'Homme itself
    was on fire. However, the latest reports are slightly less
    alarming, though this was a major incident with a "Pumps 14"
    fire engine and crew attendance level for over three hours, with
    water damage (at least) in the Musee des Monuments de France.

    Patrick J. Boylan
    (Vice-President of ICOM)

    City University, Frobisher Crescent, Barbican, London EC2Y 8HB,
    UK; phone: +44-171-477.8750, fax:+44-171-477.8887; e-mail:
    P.Boylan<-a t->city< . >ac< . >uk World Wide Web site:
    <URL:http://www.city.ac.uk/artspol/>