Subject: Art-Sorb

Art-Sorb

From: Barry Knight <barry<-a>
Date: Tuesday, October 7, 1997
In answer to Nigel Larkin's questions, I would say:

    1.  No, it is not possible to maintain RH as low as 2% in
        display cases using Art-Sorb.

    2.  No, it is not possible to maintain RH as low as 2% in
        display cases using silica gel.  On the other hand, if you
        have an display case made of or lined with impermeable
        material, and use plenty of fresh silica gel (say 50kg per
        cubic metre), it is possible to maintain an RH below 10% for
        several months.  Obviously this depends on the external RH
        as well.

    3.  I don't believe there is any advantage in using Art-Sorb in
        this situation.

Contact me off-list for further information if you like,

Barry Knight
English Heritage
London

                 Distributed: Thursday, October 9, 1997