Subject: Leather discolored by tobacco smoke

Leather discolored by tobacco smoke

From: Marjorie Kevlahan <marjokev<-a>
Date: Thursday, October 2, 1997
I am the person who posted the question about the tobacco smoke. I
work in Special Collections Dept of a public library. I know that
conservation is complex, depending on materials, damage, treatment
and the knowledge and skills of the person doing the work.

We deal with members of the public who have varying levels of skills
and always point out to them the complexities of the situation. In
this case the question was from some-one who was a bookbinder not a
conservator. He realised that he needed help. I first left a message
with the conservator at our local Archives Association and received
no reply hence my question to the Conservation DistList.

I should have given more information but was hoping I would receive
a reply giving a conservator's solution to the problem (realising
that diagnosis from a distance is difficult) with perhaps
non-damaging treatment a layman could use, if there was one
available. In the best of all possible worlds one would always use a
conservator. The harsh reality is that the average person cannot
afford one.

                  Distributed: Monday, October 6, 1997