Subject: Vandalism

Vandalism

From: Ton Cremers <securma<-a>
Date: Thursday, October 2, 1997
Thomas Dixon <ngvcons<-a t->vicnet< . >net< . >au> writes

>Given some of the incidents that have occurred in the past several
>years around the world, there is always a worry that a vandal or
>deranged person might attack paintings or other works of art on
>display with a liquid such as acid, alkali or paint remover.  I have
>seen the results of these attacks, but never been involved with one.
Does anyone have experience that can give us a bit of guidance?

In the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam we have placed containers with
demineralized water in most museum rooms. Guards have been
instructed to spray water on a painting that has been attacked with
chemicals. They know they must not spray straight on the chemicals,
but first they have to spray water on the lower parts of the
painting and than start spraying above the chemicals.  They must
keep on spraying until one of the restorers arrives and tells them
to stop. The idea is that water damage is far less serious than most
chemicals. Rembrandt's Nightwatch was saved this way from severe
damage when it was attacked with acid  some six years ago. The acid
only damaged a small layer of varnish. The idea to take a painting
off the wall and lay it face up on the floor, in my opinion, is not
a very good one:

    *   moving the picture will move the chemicals over the surface

    *   putting it on the floor face up will give the chemicals too
        much time to do the destructive job (when putting the
        painting on the floor why not face down?)

If you want more information about the restorer's point of view you
may reach the museum's press office at: presentatie<-a t->rijksmuseum< . >nl

Ton Cremers
The Museum Security Network

                  Distributed: Monday, October 6, 1997