Subject: Vandalism

Vandalism

From: Thomas Dixon <ngvcons<-a>
Date: Tuesday, September 30, 1997
Given some of the incidents that have occurred in the past several
years around the world, there is always a worry that a vandal or
deranged person might attack paintings or other works of art on
display with a liquid such as acid, alkali or paint remover.  I have
seen the results of these attacks, but never been involved with one.

In discussions with my colleagues, the first direction we have given
our attendants is to remove the work from display and place it face
up on the floor to prevent the spread of the liquid.  Don't touch
the liquid as it may be corrosive or even toxic.  The attendants are
then to contact their security control point on their radio and wait
for the conservator.

The conservator arrives, does a very cautious sniff test to try to
identify the material and then.......  What?

Blot it up with the edge of blotting papers?

Does anyone have experience that can give us a bit of guidance?

Thomas Dixon
Chief Conservator
National Gallery of Victoria
Melbourne Australia