Subject: Determining whether books are out of print

Determining whether books are out of print

From: Susan E. Lunas <slunas<-a>
Date: Tuesday, September 30, 1997
Harold Holland <harl<-a t->unb< . >ca>

>The responses to my inquiry about books out of print focused
>primarily on procedures for finding a book out of print.   More
>specifically is there a rule of thumb for assuming that a book is
>probably out print which can be used at the time of a disaster?

As in book conservation, there is no real rule of thumb for guessing
whether a book is out of print.  A book may be out of print at the
initial publisher and there may be a reprint of it from another
publisher.  Some books go out of print before they are published,
some after one or two years, some after 15 years.  What specifically
is it that you are trying to do?  I would be able to address your
needs better if I knew exactly what you are trying to do.

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 1, 1997