Subject: Quake Wax

Quake Wax

From: Amanda Wallace <awallace<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 1, 1997
Kathy Hall recently inquired where she could obtain "Quake Wax" and
I would like to suggest an effective alternative, particularly
suitable for more heavy duty applications.

We developed an adhesive putty for securing studio ceramics for open
display at Nottingham Castle Museum. This proved to be an effective
way of preventing both theft and physical damage (the open display
plinth was at bag-swinging height). We wanted something that was
easy to apply, light and strong and wouldn't stain the ceramic body.
We also needed something that was strong enough to secure heavy
stonewares, but that could be removed easily in the event of an
emergency.

Butvar 98 (poly vinyl butyral - PVB) was used as the resin base.
Manufactured by Monsanto Polymers & Petrochemicals Co. (800N.
Lindergh Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63166 USA), this has been used
commercially in AJK dough--a strong, lightweight modelling material
used for ceramics reconstruction and fill, as well as a number of
other conservation applications (see Velson Hories Materials for
Conservation' 1987 ISBN 0-408-01531-4  p.100ff.).

The resin was dissolved in Industrial Methylated Spirits (denatured
ethanol) to form a thick solution (approximately 20-30% w/v) and was
thickened with glass microballoons to form a malleable putty. The
solvent extends the usable time of the putty and, in a screw-top jar
can be kept for a few days.

A release layer of cellulose nitrate in acetone/ethyl acetate was
brushed onto the contact points on the underside of each pot to fill
surface irregularities and ensure easy removal. Cellulose nitrate was
chosen as a barrier rather than Paraloid B72 (acrylic co-polymer)
because of its easy reversibility and because it does not stain porous
ceramics. We used the ready-mixed adhesive diluted down to a workable 5%
w/v concentration (manufactured by

    H. Marcel Guest Ltd.
    Riverside Works
    Manchester UK M10 7RU

and available through Conservation Resources (UK) Ltd. (+44 1865
747755). A thin sausage of putty was applied to the underside, and
the pot was placed firmly on the display surface and gently pushed
down to bed it. It is important to ensure that the initial seal is
not disrupted. Excess putty was removed with dental tools. The putty
cures completely after one week. At this point it should be
impossible to lift or move the pot. However, a squirt of acetone
from a syringe easily dissolves the putty and allows the pot to be
removed. This is usually quite clean - most of the putty remains on
the display  surface--and there was little to remove from the
underside of the pot. No staining was noted with use, but obviously
it is essential to test the compatibility of the ceramic and the
putty/solvent before use.

We are currently testing the putty for long and short-term use, and
hope to publish our results in the near future. Any comments or
suggestions would be gratefully received.

Amanda Wallace
Conservation Officer
Nottingham City Museums & Art Galleries

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 1, 1997