Subject: Leather discolored by tobacco smoke

Leather discolored by tobacco smoke

From: Bryan Owen <Bryan_Owen<-a>
Date: Monday, September 29, 1997
Paul Storch <paul.storch<-a t->mnhs< . >org> writes

>Marjorie Kevlahan inquired about cleaning pipe tobacco smoke residue
>from the spines of leather bound books.  To answer the question
>simply, yes there are solutions to that problem.
>
>On the other hand, it is difficult to give specific answers to this
>type of question on the Cons DistList for the following reasons:

I have a few comments and questions.  Always remember advice you
give could be misused by the most competent of conservators and used
well by a "layman".  Which brings up the following points:

Are your undertones suggesting people precede messages with resumes?
And who will say if the sender's 'credentials' warrant a response?

    **** Moderator's comments:   From the welcome message sent to
    participants in this forum:

        4. Anonymous postings are not allowed (nor are postings from
        a department, institution or other non-human entity. Please
        identify yourself clearly (at least full name and
        title/affiliation, postal address and phone number if you
        wish).  If you have a commercial interest in a
        material/service that your are commenting on, the signature
        should make this clear (e.g. by including your company
        name.) ...

Part of the reason people have an estranged view of art conservation
is that conservators want two--seemingly conflicting--things: To
spread the word to the widest possible audience and to keep the
information close to the vest.  Conservators are at fault in most
cases.  One cannot ever control peoples' use of information.  It is
given with the hope that the uses will be good and proper.

Why do you think people consider the conservation field different?

It is part of our mission as preservationists to expound upon our
jobs and our responsibilities.  Also, get over the fact that you
will never be remunerated as well as an attorney.  Professionals in
other fields give out advice all the time.  They get paid sometimes
too.

Finally, let's face it, most people can be trained to do
conservation work.  Some people learn well--a continuous
process--some never become more than adequate, no matter what the
training or schooling.

Otherwise don't let the graduate programs know about this popular
notion!

At any rate I hope you continue to give advice to people, no matter
how general. At least they are interested enough to ask.  We should
reward that. Cordially,

Bryan Owen
Senior Preservation Technician
Frederick Law Olmsted NHS