Subject: Maintenance

Maintenance

From: Jaap van der Burg <burgcon<-a>
Date: Monday, September 29, 1997
The Foundation National Museum the Zuiderzeemuseum in the
Netherlands has about 130 historical buildings with interiors etc.
on show in an open air environment. Most of the maintenance is based
an regular treatment with paint, tars, etc. and performed by expert
carpenters, painters, gardeners and builders, these
repairs/treatments have up till now not been documented.

The museum has asked Collection Care and Consult to try and find out
whether other institutions with open air exhibits have developed a
system of :

    *   documenting these treatments and repairs,

    *   preventing original paint, wood and other material from
        getting lost in well intended maintenance,

    *   notifying conservators and other scientific staff in advance
        of coming work which might involve replacements of paint,
        wood, glass etc. without having the technicians barge in on
        the scientists for permission to repaint a replica.

If anybody could point me towards literature and or institutions I'd
be very grateful.

Jaap van der Burg

                Distributed: Monday, September 29, 1997