Subject: Leather discolored by tobacco smoke

Leather discolored by tobacco smoke

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-a>
Date: Friday, September 26, 1997
Paul Storch <paul.storch<-a t->mnhs< . >org> writes

>3.  As a professional conservator I hesitate to give out the same
>    level of advice that other professionals in other fields would
>    not be expected to release pro bono.  Why is the conservation
>    profession considered different?  There is a subtle difference
>    between discussing a treatment methodology or materials question
>    on the list with someone who is a conservator and giving
>    specific advice in a "do-it-yourself/how-to" manner.  The
>    latter, in my opinion, serves to perpetuate the popular notion
>    that anyone can do conservation with the right recipes and
>    products.

I agree.  The potential is not far from the truth when the director
of a museum or  archive/historical facility consults a list such as
this and then has an eager volunteer untrained and guided apply
techniques.  But I said enough on this subject in the article I
circulated at the AIC meeting in San Diego.

Niccolo Caldararo

                Distributed: Monday, September 29, 1997