Subject: Coopertorium

Coopertorium

From: Carolin Droschl <caro<-a>
Date: Thursday, September 25, 1997
We are looking for some information from paper conservators or book
binders for our thesis on the "coopertorium" (lat.). Coopertorium is
a flexible binding made of parchment or leather.

Being students of the paper conservation class at the  "Istituto per
l'Arte e il Restauro" in Florenz we are currently in the process of
gathering material for our thesis.

Until now we have only been able to collect a few papers and little
information about "coopertorium" bindings. Thus we are still on the
search for material and would like to ask for some help, reference
addresses or some common sense advice.

To focus a bit, let us explain what kind of information would be
helpful.

    1.  Precursers of "coopertorium" bindings as well as the history
        and development of the binding.

    2.  Technique of stitching, technique of binding, tools for
        binding.

    3.  Is there an original form of "coopertorium" bindings, which
        had served as a model.

    4.  Special emergence of this form of binding in specific
        countries. Are there influences on the technique of binding
        by various cultures?

    5.  In which way are "kettle"- stitch technique and long- stitch
        technique connected with "coopertorium" bindings?

    6.  Addresses of archives and libraries, which have big or
        special collections of "coopertorium" bindings.

    7.  We would also appreciate very much to get in contact with
        paper conservators and experts in the field of bindings.

    8.  We are very interested in references to literature, Web
        sites and mailing lists about paper conservation.

We are very grateful for your advice and help and  would like to
thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Andrea Kuechhold and Tina Droschl
Borgo Tegolaio 6
50125 Firenze, Italia
Fax: +39 55 21 79 63