Subject: UV lamps

UV lamps

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-a>
Date: Friday, September 26, 1997
Barbara Appelbaum <aandh<-a t->idt< . >net> writes

>This is a response to Flavia Philp's description of testing
>ultraviolet lights with the blue wool standards.  I seem to remember
>being told (possibly by Bob Feller) that they were formulated
>specifically not to be sensitive to UV, only visible.  I think there
>has some debate and testing since about the extent to which they are
>completely insensitive to UV, but I don't think that using them to
>compare the fading effects of UV to visible light is going to
>produce any kind of reliable results.

Are you referring to the Fade-ometer?  When I was doing research on
Krylon coatings and their formula (published some of the results in
the AIC newsletter), I asked Dr. Feller about the aging tests and
his reply was that the Fade-ometer was a xenon-arc which also
generated significant heat. Samples were thus exposed to both light
and heat.  To control for the heat they ran some tests using
daylight fluorescent lamps.  This was, as I said related to tests of
Krylon concerning is formula (mainly B-66).  Light source tests for
the Fade-ometer may have varied otherwise.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service

                Distributed: Monday, September 29, 1997