Subject: Presenters sought for program at SAA

Presenters sought for program at SAA

From: Annie Armour <aarmour<-a>
Date: Tuesday, September 23, 1997
I have an idea for a proposal for a program at the next Society of
American Archivists, and I need volunteers to participate as
teachers. This session could be called:  "I'm No Expert, but I'm in
Charge."

How does the archivist care for the variety of materials in her/his
care without doing more harm than good?

I would like to address specifically the *very* basic storage and
handling of:

    *   textiles (from flags to clothing to upholstery and tapestries)

    *   museum objects (insects in amber to coins to jewelry, leather,
        metal, etc.)

    *   works of art on paper

Now I know you are all saying this is impossible to cover in a
two-hour, workshop style (maybe even with demonstrations, but
interactive, anyway) session, but I am talking about the most
preliminary things a non expert can do with these items.  This would
include what not to try to do without more training as well as what
to do to keep the objects from harm.

I need three people (one with knowledge in each area) who would be
willing to participate in a presentation at the SAA annual meeting
in Orlando, Florida, August 31-September 6, 1998.

There are no honorariums involved, but registration fees are waived
by nonmembers who are not archivists.

Since I am the kind of person who needs this training, I would chair
this session and be available during the year to give you plenty of
ideas about what amateurs like myself need to know.  I would also be
able to make bibliographies, handouts, etc. for the session.

I need to know by October 1 in order to get the proposal in on time.

If you are interested or know of anyone who is, please contact me
at:
    aarmour<-a t->sewanee< . >edu
    University of the South
    Sewanee, Tennessee
    931-598-1387

Annie Armour

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 23, 1997