Subject: Call for Papers: SHARP conference

Call for Papers: SHARP conference

From: Jonathan Rose <jerose<-a>
Date: Saturday, September 20, 1997
SHARP 1998 Vancouver Conference: Call For Papers

The sixth annual conference of the Society for the History of
Authorship, Reading and Publishing will take place 16-20 July 1998
at Simon Fraser University's Harbour Centre Campus in the heart of
Vancouver, under the auspices of the Canadian  Centre for Studies in
Publishing.  In the SHARP tradition, we will entertain proposals
from researchers interested in a variety of topics.

To take advantage of Vancouver's position on the Pacific Rim and of
interests on the west coast of Canada and the US, we would invite
those interested in traditions of the written word in the Pacific
Rim and the Americas; in interactions and boundaries between print
and oral culture; in book arts (text and image); and in books in
Ancient, Mediaeval and Renaissance periods, to submit proposals.  It
is not our intention, however, to limit the breadth of topics
addressed, a particular strength of SHARP conferences in the past.
We welcome suggestions for organized sessions.  Session submissions
should include the session title, paper titles and abstracts of no
more than 150 words for consideration by the programme committee.  A
brief biographical note should accompany the abstract.  Graduate
students may request a subsidy of $250 provided by SHARP to four (or
more if possible) students who require financial assistance.

The Vancouver committee welcomes your participation in planning the
conference; please contact us if you would like to join our planning
group or if you have any suggestions.

Please submit your abstract for consideration by 31 October 1997 by
mail or Email to the attention of

    Deborah Kirby
    Conference Director, SHARP 98 Conference
    c/o Canadian Centre for Studies in Publishing
    Simon Fraser University at Harbour Centre
    515 West Hastings St
    Vancouver, BC V6B 5K3
    Canada.
    +1 604 291 5093
    Fax: +1 604 291 5098
    dkirby<-a t->sfu< . >ca
    <URL:www.sfu.ca/sharp98/>

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 23, 1997