Subject: Pheromone traps

Pheromone traps

From: Sue Gatenby <sueg<-a>
Date: Wednesday, September 10, 1997
Kornelius Goetz <Restaurierungsberatung<-a t->t-online< . >de> writes

>Pheromone traps are designed as a monitoring tool, for example by an
>attack of webbing clothes moth. What is to be done after monitoring
>moths? Is it acceptable to use the traps to achieve control? Or must
>harder stuff come to control the attack?

At the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney, Australia  we had an old car with
horse hair stuffing which was infested with clothes moths and we
made a frame and covered it with mylar which went on display in our
recent conservation exhibition. Some traps were placed in visible
locations for the public to see and changed at recommended
intervals. Once the display was dismantled the car went back into
storage in it's mylar housing. It has been about 2.5 years  in this
housing and all I can say is the frequency of trappings has
drastically reduced and we will continue with the hope that it will
eventually control the infestation.

Advice for this work was given by Alex Roach of Heritage Pest
Management formally from the Australian Museum of course another
alternative would have been low oxygen, unfortunately the Rentokil
Bubble is not yet available in Australia and we were a little
concerned about constructing our own and freezing was not possible
due to the fragile painted surface.

Sue Gatenby

               Distributed: Thursday, September 11, 1997