Subject: Notch codes

Notch codes

From: Kylie Scroope <kylies<-a>
Date: Wednesday, September 10, 1997
similar survey of sheet film holdings in the Australian Archives and
used the David Horvath Survey report as a model. Despite the fact
that the different examples of notch markings cited in the Horvath
report are extensive, we found very few films that we were actually
able to positively identify. Many either had no notches, or did not
match any of the examples. However, the Horvath report also includes
lots of other useful information. I could send a copy to Angeletta
if she contacts me directly.

When we undertook our survey, we also used Image Permanence
Institute Acetate Detector (AD) strips, to determine the extent of
vinegar syndrome occurring in acetate film. You may have already
thought of this, but if not I would recommend them to you as a very
simple way of assessing the degree to which vinegar syndrome is
occurring, and subsequently prioritising copying.

They are available directly from:

    Image Permanence Institute
    Rochester Institute of Technology
    70 Lomb memorial Drive
    Rochester, NY 14623-5604
    USA

               Distributed: Thursday, September 11, 1997