Subject: Microfilm scanners

Microfilm scanners

From: Richard Thouin <r_thouin<-a>
Date: Monday, September 8, 1997
We are studying a project of digitizing our collection of 35mm
negative microfilms and 105mm microfiches that we have produced
since 1973. After intensive search, we finally arrive at a choice
that we considered very interesting: The ProScan by SunRise Imaging
Inc.

The scanner can scan roll film, microfiche and/or aperture card.  For
example, a 35 mm microfilm can be scan up to 70 images per minute at
300 dots per inch (DPI) or 120 images per minute at 200 DPI, in
either cine or comic mode.

One key feature, it can handle irregularly gapped images on film,
blipped documents and duplex images. For us, it was essential since
all our collection is film without blips. Also, with the Image
enhancement feature, we can have for certain titles a better quality
image output from the microfilm. I hope this information will help.

P. S. The testing has been done.  We are in process of evaluating
the cost effective way of doing the project: in house, by a service
bureau or in partnership.

Richard Thouin
Directeur de la conservation
Bibliotheque nationale du Quebec