Subject: Insect infestation in gourds

Insect infestation in gourds

From: Michael Trinkley <chicora1<-a>
Date: Saturday, September 6, 1997
Both Mr. Storch and Ms. Appelbaum have provided very good advice
concerning the pest infestation in gourds. In particular, Ms.
Appelbaum's comment that additional information would be useful is
of particular importance.

It is likely that the "dead insects" found around the gourds are
what are commonly called "pantry pests," a rather generic name for a
broad range of primarily beetles (although there are moths as well)
commonly found in food items, although some are also at home in such
pharmaceuticals as belladonna and arsenic, as well as tobacco and
other fairly noxious materials. A good, popular introduction to
these pests can be found in William Olkowski, Sheila Daar, and Helga
Olkowski's Common-Sense Pest Control (1991, Taunton Press). Another
interesting perspective is provided by Larry Pinto in the article,
"Pantry Pests in Both Usual and Unusual Places," November 1991 Pest
Control Magazine.

These are typically tough pests to manage--for example, Getty
research has found that the eggs of the cigarette beetle require 192
hours in an anoxic environment for a complete kill. This, of course,
is yet another technique that Mr. Swain might be interested in
exploring and I'm sure that Jerry Shiner of Keepsafe Systems could
be of assistance. Also, CoOl provides Karen Motylewski's extensive
notes on Non-Toxic Fumigation and Alternative Control Techniques
that might be interest.

But, in particular, I want to point out that any competent
fumigation effort (likely using Vikane or sulfuryl fluoride) should
be capable of dealing with pantry pests. However, since fumigants
offer no residual effectiveness, I, too, wonder if the artwork is
being re-infested, especially since pantry pests are so aggressive.
In addition, having seen fumigation efforts which were not
particularly competent, I wonder if the pests were identified by the
pest control company in order to allow for correct dosage and "soak"
rates? I also wonder if the pest control company used the
appropriate equipment to insure that the concentrations were
attained and held for the appropriate length of time?

Perhaps Mr. Swain has all of this information, but too many
institutions do not understand that pest control treatments should
be as carefully documented as any other conservation treatment.
There should be a complete record made of what the pest was, where
the damage was noted, what pesticide was used, the concentration,
the amount applied, and so forth. And this information should follow
the artifact throughout its life.

So, my point is that there are a variety of approaches Mr. Swain may
wish to investigate, beyond either freezing or fumigation. But,
regardless of technique used, he should expect that the pest control
firm (or other consultant) clearly document what is being done, and
why. Best,

Michael Trinkley, Ph.D.
Director
Chicora Foundation, Inc.