Subject: Binding standards

Binding standards

From: Hilary A. Kaplan <hkaplan<-a>
Date: Wednesday, September 3, 1997
Jonathan M. Leader <leaderj<-a t->garnet< . >cla< . >sc< . >edu> writes

>What we don't have is a uniform policy on the bindings. They run the
>gamut from plastic spiral or punched with rail connectors to taped
>and glued.
>
>I would be very interested in hearing the experiences of others as
>to the "best" binding media for archival applications. Thanks,

You may find looking over our publication "Guidelines for Producing
Local and Family Histories" at
<URL:http://www.sos.state.ga.us/archives/guidelines.htm> helpful in
specifying how archaeological texts should be prepared. We cover
issues of paper (it should meet the ANSI Standard, Z39.48-1992, for
permanence), layout, margins, etc. We provide guidelines for texts
that are to be commercially bound as well as those not commercially
bound (loose texts). I hope you find this of some use. Please do not
hesitate to contact me directly if you have specific questions
pertaining to our Guidelines.

Hilary A. Kaplan
Conservator
Georgia Department of Archives and History
330 Capitol Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30334
404-656-3554
Fax: 404-651-8471