Subject: Insect infestation in gourds

Insect infestation in gourds

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh<-a>
Date: Wednesday, September 3, 1997
Adrian Swain <a.swain<-a t->morehead-st< . >edu> writes

>I would be interested to hear from anyone who has experience treating
>gourds which exhibit periodic evidence of insect activity.

Since proper fumigation should kill eggs, there are two possible
ways to go with this. (1) Get in touch with a local entomologist,
have the insects identified, and get better and more focussed advice
on the proper fumigation, chemicals, timing, etc. (2) Trace the
sources of the infestations, because it may be that the fumigation
is working but that reinfestation is occurring from other objects
which have not been fumigated. More precise advice could no doubt be
forthcoming from me or others on the list but would require
knowledge of the location of the museum and the type of collections
it holds. Wherever it is, local entomologists without
museum knowledge may be able to provide identification more easily
than museum people further away.

P.S. Particularly for those who are not AIC members (so you can;t be
looked up in the AIC directory), many queries could be answered
better if the querier included information on where and in what kind
of institution they are working.

B. Appelbaum

                 Distributed: Friday, September 5, 1997