Subject: Sources for materials

Sources for materials

From: Howard Wellman <hbwellman<-a>
Date: Tuesday, September 2, 1997
Can anyone please tell me what other industries use the following
conservation materials?

    Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
    Ethylenediaminetetra-acetic acid (EDTA)
    Sodium hexametaphosphate ("Calgon" - though I've heard that
        Calgon doesn't contain this anymore - comments?)
    Benzotriazole (BTA)

Our laboratory is still in the stages when we need "more than 5
kilos, less than 500", which means we end up ordering from catalog
middlemen who charge retail prices per kilo, import it from Germany,
and deliver it in 500mg bottles.  Unfortunately, though Egypt boasts
representatives from several major manufacturers, they usually won't
talk to you unless you want metric tons of material.  Today I was
told that Union Carbide-Egypt couldn't even obtain 100 kilos of PEG
for me as a test sample.

As a result, I'm trying to find local industries who might be
willing to part with 10 or 100 kilos of this and that.  Any
suggestions of industrial applications that use these materials
would be greatly appreciated.

Howard Wellman
Director of Conservation
Institute of Nautical Archaeology-Egypt / Alexandria Conservation
Laboratory for Submerged Antiquities

                Distributed: Tuesday, September 2, 1997