Subject: Binding standards

Binding standards

From: Jonathan M. Leader <leaderj<-a>
Date: Friday, August 29, 1997
The South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology
(SCIAA), in conjunction with the Council of South Carolina
Professional Archaeologists, is updating the state's standards and
guidelines for archaeology. One of the areas being revised is the
format for reports. We already require acid free paper, multiple
sets stored in two locations, and an unbound copy for duplication.
What we don't have is a uniform policy on the bindings. They run the
gamut from plastic spiral or punched with rail connectors to taped
and glued.

I would be very interested in hearing the experiences of others as
to the "best" binding media for archival applications. Thanks,

Jonathan M. Leader, Ph.D.
Archaeological Objects Conservator
Head, Office of the State Archaeologist
SCIAA