Subject: Skunk odor

Skunk odor

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch<-a>
Date: Tuesday, August 26, 1997
Pete Sixeby inquired about skunk odor removal from an archival
collection. I have used zeolites to remove rancid oil odor from
prepared sting ray jaws. I tried solvents first, without success.  I
then placed the jaws in a vacuum chamber with a tray of zeolites,
and after six weeks, enough of the odor causing molecules were
removed to allow the jaws to be handled.  Zeolites are a class of
clay minerals with an immense amount of surface area and a net
negative charge.  They adsorb organic odors and release them when
exposed to air and sunlight for about six hours, which allows them
to be reused. Zeolites are sold in pet stores for the removal of
chloramine from water. There was also a company called "Non Scents"
that was distributing the mineral packaged in various ways.  The
last number that I had for a distributor in South Carolina was
803-796-4564.

I would suggest setting up an trial chamber in which a small amount
of the affected papers can be placed in with zeolites.  The zeolite
should be spread out in a tray below the papers.  It would be best
to spread the papers out as much as possible, if they are not too
brittle to handle.  It is a passive method, so it might take several
months to be effective, depending on the amount of odor that was
adsorbed by the papers.

Creating boxes for the papers made out of Conservation Resources
Microchamber board might at least contain the odor from being
distributed by the HVAC system where it can be adsorbed by other
collections and annoy staff and researchers.  One variety of the
Microchamber product contains zeolites and charcoal.  Research that
I conducted showed that the board is effective in preventing silver
tarnish by sulphur on silver coupons.

                 Distributed: Thursday, August 28, 1997