Subject: Painted eggs

Painted eggs

From: Kory Berrett <kory<-a>
Date: Tuesday, August 26, 1997
Amy Rider <drider2<-a t->csrlink< . >net> at Slifer House in Lewisberg PA
asked about repairing scratch painted eggs.  I have already had the
pleasure of reassembling one of these treasures.  The eggs are dyed,
not painted, using a natural dye stuff made from onion skins.  The
designs are scratched into the colored egg after the colors have
set.  This is a Pennsylvania German craft and can be surprisingly
beautiful.  I should also mention that the eggs are not blown or
hollowed; they usually rattle around with the dried contents
creating the problem of weight from inside and strain on the repair.
The one I treated was assembled under a binocular microscope using
polyvinyl resin adhesive and interior tape strips made out of gold
beaters skin.  I substituted an inert material of the proper density
to compensate for the weight of the core.  Amy, if you're listening,
call for more details.

Kory Berrett, Objects Conservator
Oxford PA

                 Distributed: Thursday, August 28, 1997