Subject: Use of acrylic polymers in stone preservation

Use of acrylic polymers in stone preservation

From: Frank D. Preusser <fdp<-a>
Date: Saturday, August 23, 1997
The following message is  posted for a colleague. Please send your
replies directly to him. (cselwitz<-a t->getty< . >edu; Fax: 310-440-7711;
phone 310-440-6807)

    To conservators, restorers and conservation scientists:

    This is a plea for help.  I am writing a book on the use of
    acrylic polymers for stone preservation which will be a volume
    in the series "Research in Conservation". There are areas of
    usage of acrylic polymers where I would like to get more
    descriptive information and more discussion of hands-on work
    than I can find in the available literature. In particular I
    need information on the following topics:

        1.  The use of acrylic polymers, particularly B-72, for the
            treatment of marble statuary and structures in Italy.
            Many treatments were done in the early eighties with
            this acrylic copolymer.  However, the use of B-72 fell
            out of favor later in the decade and was replaced by
            ethyl silicate. I would like to know more about how and
            why this was done, particularly as case histories
            describing observed failures noted by restorers dealing
            with this situation.  What were the problems and
            properties attendant the application of B72 that caused
            its usage to be discontinued?

        2.  Does anyone have any information on the use of acrylic 7
    polymers for exterior stone work in the United States or in
    Europe outside of Italy?

        3.  Acrylic polymers have been  used for the treatment of a
            variety of museum stone and ceramic objects.  I would
            like to learn more about the ways that  you have used
            these polymers for objects maintained indoors, or for
            any other important and interesting applications such as
            for mosaics or earthen architecture.

    If you have information that you would be willing to share with
    the conservation community and are willing to have it included
    in my book, please contact me.  I would like to arrange for an
    interview (most likely by telephone) where we can talk about
    your work. (cselwitz<-a t->getty< . >edu; FAX 310-440-7711; phone
    310-440-6807). Thank you,

    Charles Selwitz

Frank D. Preusser

                  Distributed: Monday, August 25, 1997