Subject: Deterioration of synthetic rubber

Deterioration of synthetic rubber

From: Wendy Claire Jessup <prevcon<-a>
Date: Thursday, August 21, 1997
The following appeared on Museum-L and is reproduced here without the
knowledge or consent of the author

    From: Roxanne Fea <fea<-a t->t1000< . >pncc< . >govt< . >nz>
    To:    museum-l<-a t->home< . >ease< . >lsoft< . >com
    Date: 21 Aug 97

    Can anyone give me some expedient advice on the breakdown of
    synthetic rubber?

    I am working with Museum Studies students on a Hat show, and one
    item featured is a 1950s moulded synthetic rubber bathing cap.
    This cap was originally bright yellow with moulded sunflowers,
    but over time has begun to show mottled brown areas which have
    hardened, and begun to split.

    This appears to be an oxidisation process. The question I have
    is exactly what chemical process is occurring here? What
    compounds are reacting with oxygen, innate in the rubber?

    Any suggestions would be gratefully received, as the students'
    show opens tomorrow night, and the conservation label gets
    written this afternoon!

    Roxanne Fea
    Curator of Social History
    The Science Centre & Manawatu Museum,