Subject: Defleshing embalmed remains

Defleshing embalmed remains

From: Wendy Claire Jessup <prevcon<-a>
Date: Thursday, August 21, 1997
The following appeared on Museum-L and is reproduced here without the
knowledge or consent of the author

    From: Matthew Rowley <catbasket<-a t->aol< . >com>
    To:    museum-l<-a t->home< . >ease< . >lsoft< . >com
    Date: 21 Aug 97

    I've an odd question and knew you were the right people to
    answer it.  In the course of preparing anatomical specimens, an
    anatomist down at my place called me and asked what the best
    method of defleshing *embalmed* remains was.  I didn't know for
    sure, but told him that a 70 degree water bath ought to do the
    trick, especially with some detergent added.  After the flesh
    starts to come off, the rest may be gently removed by hand. He
    said they they were in the warming vats (read "stock pots") even
    as we spoke and they were proving resistant to such gentle
    treatment. Does anyone have experience dealing with this
    particular issue?  Would love to hear your advice.

    Matthew Rowley
    Collections Manager
    Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine

Wendy Claire Jessup
President and Conservator
Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.
210 Little Falls Street, Suite 203