Subject: Floor coverings

Floor coverings

From: Wai-kwok Wan <waikkwan<-a>
Date: Thursday, August 21, 1997
I should be grateful if anyone out there would comment on the
following statement which was made by our contractor in response to
our expressed concern about the ingredients/chemicals contained in
the Nitoflor SL2000 FG (floor topping) used in our new archives
repository:

    "...Nitoflor FL2000 FG is a solvent-free epoxy resin based floor
    topping. It does not release any solvent or any appreciable
    quantity of vapours during application and curing. However, to
    prevent the SL2000 filler getting into the air-condition system,
    we recommend mixing the material outside the records storage
    area..."

Meanwhile, I'd like to have advice on the following specifically:

    1.  Are there any archives using the Nitoflor FL2000 FG in their
        repository? If yes, any feedback.

    2.  From conservation point of view, would application of
        Nitoflor SL20000 FG as floor topping pose any negative
        effect on the archives already in the repository? If yes,
        what are they?

Wai-kwok Wan
Senior Assistant Archivist
3/F., Hong Kong Public Records Building