Subject: Rust on outdoor steel sculpture

Rust on outdoor steel sculpture

From: Bonni-Dara Michaels <michaels<-a>
Date: Friday, August 15, 1997
Several years ago, we received a stainless steel sculpture which was
erected outdoors.  It shortly developed rust spots.  My predecessor
cleaned it with "Zud."  There is, unfortunately, no record to
indicate who suggested using Zud, or how to apply it.

The sculpture again has unsightly patches of rust.  Do we try to
clean it, and if so, with what and how do we proceed?  Do we use Zud
again, and if so, how - scrub gently?  Use only in affected areas?
Or is it preferable to leave the piece alone.
Thanks for your help,

Bonni-Dara Michaels
Curator, Museum Registrar
Yeshiva University Museum