Subject: Oxygen-free display cases

Oxygen-free display cases

From: Michael Maggen <maggen<-a>
Date: Tuesday, August 5, 1997
Johan Hermans <jhermans<-a t->museum-london< . >org< . >uk> writes:

>We are researching an economic way of building an oxygen free
>display case for a rubberized piece of costume.

Here are some recent bibliographic sources for removing oxygen from
art object environment:

    1.  "A dynamic system for removing air using an electrochemical
        cell" by Mark Gilberg and others, Studies in Conservation,
        vol.41 no. 3, 1996.

    2.  "Oxygen deprivation for the extermination of insects
        infesting of architectural drawings", by Hilary A. Kaplan
        and others, The paper Conservator vol.20 1996.

    3.  "A field trail for the use of ageless in the preservation of
        rubber in museum collections" by Yvonne Shashoun and others,
        postprint of Ottawa symposium, Canadian conservation
        Institute, on the issue of The conservation of modern
        materials 15-20 Sep. 1993

Hope you will find some answers there.

Michael Maggen
Senior paper Conservator