Subject: Thermal copies

Thermal copies

From: Ian Batterham <ianb<-a>
Date: Sunday, July 27, 1997
I am a conservator working with the Australian Archives, I am also a
part-time masters student in conservation at the University of
Canberra. I am doing my thesis on the deterioration and preservation
of thermal copying methods a subject which is also of interest to
the Australian Archives.

Thermal copying methods were used for office document copying, the
most common of the methods was the Thermofax process developed by
the 3M company and popular from the late 50's to the early 70's.

I am posting a rather general question to the list asking if anyone
has any knowledge, references or advice for me regarding such
processes, their deterioration and preservation.

I am curious about a process patented by the Marconi Wireless
Company in the 1920's called 'pyro recording paper' has anyone heard
of this ?

Ian Batterham
Conservation Manager
Australian Archives