Subject: Silicone-treated polyester film

Silicone-treated polyester film

From: Ramona Duncan-Huse <rduncan<-a>
Date: Monday, July 28, 1997
Rick Dzupina <rdzupina<-a t->interlog< . >com> writes

>I have been searching for information about silicone-treated mylar,
>specifically whether the silicone, when it is applied to the mylar,
>becomes cross-linked to the mylar substrate, or rests on the
>surface, to deteriorate at some time down the road.

Our supplier of silicone coated mylar is Douglas/Hanson out of
Hammond WI. 800-225-1817.)  When I called them with a technical
question about cross linking, they had a tech person on the spot
with an intelligent answer (sorry I don't recall the name.) He
indicated 95% of their silicone coated products are from DuPont.  He
indicated cross-linking would take place within the silicone and at
the interface.  He understood my concern right away about wanting to
protect valuable materials and would not recommend the coated mylar
as a long-term storage solution, as flaking could take place. He
mentioned he'd had a conversation with a NY museum that wanted to
pack asian ceramics (?) with a very lightweight silicone treated
mylar.  I commented it might have been for very short term packaging
possibly for a shipment after treatment with an adhesive(?) We use
silicone coated mylar to make our own LC coated mending tissue, so
its a product we use, but not in association with the originals.
Hope that helps a little.

Ramona Duncan-Huse
Head of Conservation
Indiana Historical Society Library