Subject: Silicone-treated polyester film

Silicone-treated polyester film

From: Rick Dzupina <rdzupina<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 23, 1997
I have been searching for information about silicone-treated mylar,
specifically whether the silicone, when it is applied to the mylar,
becomes cross-linked to the mylar substrate, or rests on the
surface, to deteriorate at some time down the road.

I had considered using silicone-treated mylar as an interleaving
material for a series of Shiva oil-stick drawings on artificial
parchment (I have since used polyethylene sheeting), but a
conversation with Scott Williams at CCI brought up the issue of
stability and whether or not the silicone is permanently
cross-linked.

Mr. Williams suggested that I contact the manufacturer or supplier;
the supplier of the Art Gallery of Ontario's mylar went out of
business.  I have contacted Dupont, and a representative there told
me that the company produces untreated mylar films and passes these
films to other companies, where specialized treatments, such as
silicone application, are effected.  I have further tried contacting
some of these other companies, but have been patched through to
sales reps, who are most often on the road. Any information or leads
would be most welcome,

Rick Dzupina, Intern
The Art Gallery of Ontario
Toronto, Ontario