Subject: Storage containers for wet collection

Storage containers for wet collection

From: Bradley Froggatt <brad_froggat<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 23, 1997
I am searching for current information on storage containers (jars)
for the storage of wet collections, ie: natural history specimens
preserved in formalin,  and 50% isopropyl alcohol / water solutions,
and ethanol.  In particular, we are searching for containers that
are transparent and seal well with little to no evaporation.

We have been experimenting over the years with various containers
(glass) with bakelite, Nalgene, metal lids, etc. with various
gaskets from rubber to Neoprene.  To date all have either allowed
unacceptable evaporation or have reacted with the chemicals within.

Information on products and suppliers (preferably Canadian) for
such containers would be much appreciated.

Bradley Froggatt
Conservation Dept.
Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature

                 Distributed: Wednesday, July 23, 1997