Subject: Survey on access to conservation publications

Survey on access to conservation publications

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 16, 1997
    **** Moderator's comments:   Please respond directly to the
    author

Notice for Bay Area Art Conservation Guild members and non-member
conservators in the Bay Area who may be interested:
Conservation Journal Survey

Members of the BAACG have expressed interest in investigating ways
of increasing access to conservation publications and doing so in a
cost-effective manner.  To do this we would like to find out what
conservation journals members and other conservators presently
subscribe to and what journals they would like access to if cost
were not a factor.  I am requesting that people email me this
information at Caldararo<-a t->AOL< . >com.

For example:
Conservator X:
    I subscribe to:
        1. The Journal of the AIC
        2. The Paper Conservator
        3  The Journal of the IIC-Canadian Group

    My local Public library has:
        1. Library Journal
        2. Abbey Newsletter

    The Public Conservation Lab (in a local museum) has:
        1.Conservation News

    The Public Conservation Lab (in a local university) has:
        1. Studies in Conservation

    The Public Conservation Lab ( in a regional center) has:
        1. Restauro

    I have (do not have) access to these lab libraries.

    I would like to have access to:
        1. Restaurator
        2. Victoria and Albert Conservation Journal (Q&A)
        3. The Conservator

I will collate all the responses and the information will be made
available to BAACG members and others who are interested.  Possible
outcomes of this information could be:

    1.  BAACG lobby libraries to increase subscriptions to
        conservation journals.

    2.  BAACG organize a journal club at meetings or separately
        where members share the different publications they
        subscribe to thus increasing the availability of published
        information.

    3.  BAACG subscribe to publications which members feel are most
        important and circulate the copies either through a journal
        club or by mail or both.

    4.  BAACG investigate the use of interlibrary loan services
        available to members to increase availability of
        publications.

    5.  Other suggestions from members and others.

Niccolo Caldararo

                   Distributed: Friday, July 18, 1997