Subject: Belize library appeal

Belize library appeal

From: Walter Henry <whenry<-a>
Date: Thursday, July 10, 1997
Several people forwarded the following message (slightly shortened
here) which was posted on Archives, and apparently elsewhere.

    From: Michael Knies <smtp:kniesm2<-a t->tiger< . >uofs< . >edu>
    Date: Tuesday, July 08, 1997
    Subject:  Belize Library Rescue (fwd)

    The Central American Institute of Prehistoric and Traditional
    Cultures at Belize urgently needs your assistance.  The
    Institute focuses its interests on the ethnobotany of sacred and
    medicinal plants, shamanism, states of consciousness, and
    ancient traditions.

    The Institute has the largest research and educational library
    in Belize, consisting of irreplaceable books, photographs,
    artifacts, field notes, and other archival materials.  The
    recent rain storms and hurricanes have damaged the library and
    archival storage. Algae, worms, and the dense tropical moisture
    have penetrated our building and are rapidly destroying the
    collection.

    We estimate that in one month, one-third of the collection will
    be damaged; in two months, three-quarters may be beyond repair.
    In three months, there may be nothing left to salvage.  This is
    a loss that the people of Belize cannot afford.  Several of our
    staff members have returned to the United States to appeal for
    help in rescuing this irreplaceable resource.  We have initiated
    a Rescue Operation, and urgently need your support.

    Time is of the essence.  We need $60,000 now (Phase I).  We are
    appealing to foundations, corporations, research societies,
    institutes, individuals, and television and radio announcements,
    and we also urge you to help us cope with this emergency
    situation. Your support will be acknowledged on our home page.
    Also, please, help us spread this message to friends and
    colleagues who may be interested in supporting this Rescue
    Operation.

    We can provide documentation of our non-profit and educational
    status, and a detailed break-down of the allocation of funds.

    Further information about the Institute can be obtained on our
    Web site at <URL:http://world.std.com/~chacmol/>. The Institute
    is also listed in Issue 3 of the People and Plants Handbook,
    published by World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), UNESCO, and Royal
    Botanic Gardens-Kew.

        Emergency Fund
        Central American Institute
        8033 Sunset Blvd.