Subject: Digital cameras

Digital cameras

From: Andrew Lenz <alenz<-a>
Date: Tuesday, July 8, 1997
William Real <realw<-a t->ix< . >netcom< . >com> writes

>Do any DistList readers use digital cameras to produce standard
>conservation documentation, or know of conservators who do?  If so I
>would like to know more about the relative costs, advantages, and
>drawbacks compared to scanning.

Having used a digital camera with 640 x 480 pixels resolution, I
doubt it would be of use to a conservator. I toyed with the idea of
using one to record the condition of incoming artwork in need of
restoration, but the quality of the picture was so poor, it proved
futile. (These cameras retail for about $350-$700.) New cameras of
1280x960 resolution, which I haven't used (retail ~$1000-$1500), I
believe would still prove insufficient. Even a rock bottom scanner
(300 pixels per inch) is going to give you a better resolution image
for less money. It's been pointed out to me by a conservator that
the AIC doesn't allow digital documentation of treatments, but D.C.s
are useful in other aspects of conservation.

Andrew T. Lenz, Jr.
V.P., Lenz Arts, Inc.
Santa Cruz, California

                  Distributed: Thursday, July 10, 1997