Subject: Warped phonograph records

Warped phonograph records

From: Mark Clarke <markey<-a>
Date: Thursday, July 10, 1997
Susan Aprill <saprill<-a t->esinter< . >com> writes

>I am looking for a way to flatten slightly warped vinyl phonograph
>records. These are fairly recent discs with just enough warping to
>distort the sound quality.  I've looked through the archives of the
>list, but have not found any comments.  Can anyone suggest a method?

The traditional if alarming way is two sheets of heavy glass to make
a sandwich, and apply heat gently. A hot sunny day will do it (mask
label against fading--I forgot!), or a low oven.

There used to be a hi-fi fanatics' record player with a platter
which was a mini suction table - you pumped and played. If you can
track one down, you can then  make recordings from the lp. I'll
email again when I remember who made it.

On a similar principle, at home I place record on the turn table,
then use a small rubber grommet pushed over the player's spindle to
hold the centre down, and so making the lp flat - enough for minor
warps.

Mark Clarke
London
+44 941 101 251