Subject: Color terminology

Color terminology

From: Andrew Lenz <alenz<-a>
Date: Tuesday, July 8, 1997
Thomas James Braun <tbraun<-a t->udel< . >edu> writes

>Anne Lane <alane<-a t->infoave< . >net> writes
>
>>We are in the process of trying to standardize the terminology we
>>use in our cataloguing, and our Curator of Art was wondering if
>>there is any standard terminology for color shades
>
>There is also the Pantone color system, which has a much wider array
>of colors than the Munsell system

With regard to the Pantone color systems for identifying/classifying
colors. There are two systems. The "spot color" system of
approximately 1,000 colors which are achieved by a printer
physically mixing a small number of inks. A fan deck of these colors
printed on both coated and uncoated papers is available with a
suggested retail of about $65(US). The second system "process color"
is composed of colors achieved by printing various density screen
patterns of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black--hence, also known as
"CMYK" color. Pantone puts out a fan deck of 3,000 process colors
printed on only coated paper for about $75(US). The spot color deck
is far and away the most commonly used one, having been around for
several decades, the process deck was introduced in the last 10
years.

Andrew T. Lenz, Jr.
V.P., Lenz Arts, Inc.
Santa Cruz, California