Subject: Metal coatings

Metal coatings

From: Stuart McDonald <smac<-a>
Date: Tuesday, July 8, 1997
I have been working on engineering models, destined for the new
Museum of Scotland, some of the surfaces are left as a polished
finish. This surface requires protecting, at the moment I am using a
clear synthetic enamel (brand name Tekaloid). Has any one experience
of the above enamel, long term protection, degradation etc?  Any
advice on alternatives?

Stuart Mcdonald
Engineering Conservator
National Museums of Scotland