Subject: Identification of pests

Identification of pests

From: Mary W. Ballard <mwb<-a>
Date: Monday, July 7, 1997
M. E. Matias <link<-a t->mnl< . >sequel< . >net> writes

>We would like to request your office to provide us with information
>regarding a sourcebook of insect identification in the tropics
>(specifically Southeast Asia, or insects native to the Philippines).

If you can send me your mailing address, I can send you some
literature on pest control in museums

It is unclear to me what pest you have. It would be best to take
samples of the bugs and a description of the damage to an
entomologist in the zoology department at your local university or
to a pest control company. If you are using local materials in your
construction, your insect infestation is probably familiar to the
them.

There will be insects that enter museums that do not damage
collections--in the States, these include flies, fleas, "pill bugs"
in basements.

If you can characterize what appears to be damaged in your museum
(is it just the bookshelves? which bookshelves?) you may be able to
remove unaccessioned susceptible material and thereby reduce the
need for chemical treatment or the likelihood of future attack.

If you can date your first recognition of the infestation, you may
be able to associate with the receipt of new furnishings or of
recent acquisitions--and locate the way the insect entered the
building and its preference. best wishes,

Mary Ballard

                  Distributed: Wednesday, July 9, 1997