Subject: Barcoding

Barcoding

From: J. Claire Dean <clairedean<-a>
Date: Thursday, July 3, 1997
Todd Ellison <ellison_t<-a t->fortlewis< . >edu> writes

>We are in the process of associating each of our artifacts with a
>unique bar code number.  How would you recommend attaching the bar
>code label to the object?  We don't intend to actually tape the
>label directly onto an object

With regard to Todd Ellison's request for ideas on marking objects,
it is worth noting that objects that have been "permanently" marked
(in our tradition of marking objects in collections), and that are
due to be repatriated under the terms of NAGPRA, have posed some
problems of removal. Many Native American communities object to
objects having been numbered and now request that the marking be
removed as part of the repatriation process. This underlines the
need for us to use methods of marking that can be safely and easily
reversed.

J. Claire Dean
Dean & Associates Conservation Services
3438 NE 62nd Avenue