Subject: Barcoding

Barcoding

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh<-a>
Date: Thursday, July 3, 1997
Todd Ellison <ellison_t<-a t->fortlewis< . >edu> writes

>We are in the process of associating each of our artifacts with a
>unique bar code number.  How would you recommend attaching the bar
>code label to the object?  We don't intend to actually tape the
>label directly onto an object, but we're wondering which option to
>pursue.  Ones we've considered are:
>
>    *   attaching the bar code label to the outside of the box in
>        which we store the object when it's not on display, or
>
>    *   sticking the label onto a piece of acid-free cardstock which
>        is either stuck inside the object or attached to it using a
>        wire or a string.  But what if the object is too small to
>        contain a label or has nothing to tie a string to?

I can't give an answer to the questions on the barcode issue, but it
certainly is a case study in how not to make decisions.  What was
the point of initiating a barcoding project without deciding in
advance how it would relate to normal object marking protocols?  The
idea for museum objects, and, I assume, archival ones as well, is
that marking should not be easily reversible, either on purpose or
by accident.  Tying on paper tags might seem less troublesome than
marking objects directly, but the ties fall off and, if an object is
stolen, it is certainly very easy to hide its origins.  *If* very
small objects are not to be labelled directly, in whatever manner,
then this is a policy of the collection and needs to be discussed in
terms of all of its ramifications.  It is difficult to understand
how barcoding can take the place of "normal" accession numbering
systems if the barcodes will only be applied to the boxes.  I know
that very often institutional decisions are made without consulting
the very people who will be most influenced by them, but tactically
speaking, it make be better over the long term to make the
decision-making process be the subject of discussion rather than
expend a great deal of time and energy attempting to administer a
flawed or inappropriate system.

B. Appelbaum

                  Distributed: Wednesday, July 9, 1997