Subject: Architectural model coated with beeswax

Architectural model coated with beeswax

From: Shirley Ellis <texlab<-a>
Date: Tuesday, June 24, 1997
Karen Potje <kpotje<-a t->cca< . >qc< . >ca> writes

> The wax is yellowed, appears somewhat brittle
> and is fairly dirty. In fact it has probably accumulated enough
> surface dust and grime that it is no in danger of sticking to
> anything, but I would like to be sure before we box it up that we
> are storing it properly. Can anyone recommend a suitable material
> for wrapping and padding it? I am also looking for recommendations
> for removing the heavy accumulations of dust from the crevices of
> the model. Thanks,

Although I'm not familiar with "architectural models" I have dealt
with medical wax models in the past.  Cleaning can be accomplished
by first surface cleaning with a mini-vacuum, using low suction and
a *soft* brush (check for marring of the wax surface).  This can be
followed with wet-cleaning using a 0.5% w:v solution of Orvus
(anionic detergent) in distilled water followed by rinsing.  We used
cotton swabs to clean the surface, however there was some loss of
the cotton fibres to the surface. Again, a soft brush might be more
suitable.  The size of this model may pose a problem.  If swabs work
you could roll your own on a sharpened stick for a smaller head. I
wonder if the yellowing you are seeing is due to a coating which has
been applied to the surface.  One of the medical models we worked on
possibly had a shellac or linseed oil coating applied to it.

As for the wrapping and padding..... is it possible to construct a
box from coroplast with an additional ethafoam base to secure it so
that it cannot move? Hope this helps,

Shirley Ellis
Textile Conservation Service
University of Alberta