Subject: Preservation Legislation in the Federal Sector

Preservation Legislation in the Federal Sector

From: Robert Schnare <schnarer<-a>
Date: Wednesday, June 25, 1997
Preservation Legislation in the Federal Sector Since the
White House Conference of 1991.

    **** Moderator's comments:   The full report is available in
    Conservation OnLine:
    <URL://http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byauth/schnare/preswhc.html>

I would like to share the following report which was compiled for
the Summary of Actions to Implement the 96 Recommendations and
Petitions of the 1991 White House Conference on Library and
Information Services: March 1994 through December 1996, WHCLIST,
Washington, DC, 1997, 39p.

I was a delegate to the WHC and a member of the WHC Recommendations
Committee which help draft the final recommendations.   We were
fortunate in that the delegates voted preservation as one of the top
ten priorities. Recommendation #6 was Preservation Policy, Needs
Assessment and Implementation (Create a National Preservation
Policy).  The other two Preservation Recommendations were More
funding for the States and Publish the Proceedings on Acid Free
paper. The latter one actually happened.

I agreed to compile an update as I am still active with WHCLIST.

Bob Schnare
Director, US Naval War College
686 Cushing
Road, Newport, RI 02841