Subject: Architectural model coated with beeswax

Architectural model coated with beeswax

From: Karen Potje <kpotje<-a>
Date: Monday, June 23, 1997
We have recently acquired a small architectural model (3 inches wide
x 7 inches long x 3 inches high) which is made of light, hollow wood
structures over which has been poured a thin coating of beeswax. The
model dates from 1976. The wax is yellowed, appears somewhat brittle
and is fairly dirty. In fact it has probably accumulated enough
surface dust and grime that it is no in danger of sticking to
anything, but I would like to be sure before we box it up that we
are storing it properly. Can anyone recommend a suitable material
for wrapping and padding it? I am also looking for recommendations
for removing the heavy accumulations of dust from the crevices of
the model. Thanks,

Karen Potje
Head, Conservation/Preservation
Canadian Centre for Architecture