Subject: Color terminology

Color terminology

From: Thomas James Braun <tbraun<-a>
Date: Monday, June 23, 1997
Anne Lane <alane<-a t->infoave< . >net> writes

>We are in the process of trying to standardize the terminology we
>use in our cataloguing, and our Curator of Art was wondering if
>there is any standard terminology for color shades

There is also the Pantone color system, which has a much wider array
of colors than the Munsell system, and also has the advantage of
being keyed to the cyan/magenta/yellow/black inks that commercial
printers use to print books, magazines, ad-copy and etc.  Each color
has a number that relates to the different amounts of each ink the
printer needs to mix. This may or may not suit your purpose.

Tom Braun
Conservation Fellow
Winterthur Museum

                   Distributed: Monday, June 23, 1997